A lunch in Sparta...

... shouldn't be confused with a spartan lunch.

Thanks to a recommendation at Speed's Bike Shop I followed the trail into Sparta looking for a place on Water Street called Ginny's Cupboard.

What I found was an attractive store front advertising a soda fountain and lunch counter - my kind of place - and what I needed to re-fuel for the rest of my ride.

A mere mile or so from the northwest end of the Elroy - Sparta trail, I came to Water Street, where I turned right and headed up town about six or seven blocks when I found the historic downtown district.

This is where I found Ginny.

Actually, I didn't see Ginny.  I'm not sure that I saw her cupboard either, although there was a large cabinet/buffet/armoire inside the diner.

Classic kitchen tables and chairs intermix with comfortable booths amidst the memorabilia and nick-knacks that added an additional layer of charm and atmosphere.

The autumn chill and long ride meant I wanted something warm to drink, and the young server brought out a tasty cup of hot chocolate.

While I had set my mind on a juicy burger for lunch, after getting inside I was drawn to the sandwich side of their menu.  Since they also were baking their own treats and breads - it seemed like the way to go.

I ordered the tuna sandwich.  While it looked like it came inside half-a-loaf of bread it was delicious!

The bread must have been made that morning and was so soft and flavorful that it seemed to embrace the tuna enhanced with juicy tastes of tomato and lettuce.  It was filling.  It was great and just what I needed.

A return trip is necessary.  Since the outside temperature was sitting in the 50s - I thought one of the ice cream treats would be a better idea on a warmer day.

Thanks to the city, county, state, or trail supporters that finished the trail into town - the last time I rode the  E - S it stopped in the parking lot outside of town.  The ability to ride into town made it a lot easier to come into a most decidedly un-spartan  repast.


Comments