Two Years and Counting

It's the 2nd blogoversary of  "They used to call me Pointdexter."

Thank you for reading, I appreciate it and find myself wondering while typing if that day's particular blog will interest you or attract more "hits" than usual.

That first blog July 21, 2012 and the blogs over the first couple of months were a way to dip my toe into the blogosphere and see how it felt.  My goal was to write something every couple of days with hopefully a blog getting posted two to three times a week.

Five months later it seemed like it would make sense to share something everyday.  Sometimes it was a poem (usually to mark the arrival of a new season) and sometimes (when the weather or other events seemed to call for it) there was more than one blog in a day.

Today is #681.

The topic or label most often applied in this space is Observation (my thoughts on an issue or anything that catches my attention) with Nature, Commentary, Biography, and Madison rounding out the top five.

The blog has impacted the way I look at experiences and weekends, "Hmm, could I get a blog out of that?  I haven't been there before, could blog about it!"

A few times since the blog started, I've shared the place of origin for those landing on a blog post or home page.  The United States gets the top spot, but the all-time top ten list is quite interesting.

9. Ukraine
9. Guam
8. Poland
7. United Kingdon
6. France
5. Germany
4. Russia
3. Malaysia
2. South Korea
1. United States

During the last two years I've wondered what makes some posts more popular than others, and really, I'm not sure if there is a precise formula to attract readers to the blog.

Some of the Cafe reviews attracted quite a few visitors after it was posted to the restaurant's Facebook page, but that hasn't been true every time.

The posts are really still much the way I thought it would be when I started - posts about Biking, Packers, Brewers, Badgers, and things that interest me.

Here's your Top Ten list:
10. Chapter 9 in Down on the Farm     May 30, 2014
9.  Chapter 11 in Down on the Farm    June 13, 2014
8.  B1G Softball                                  April 27, 2014
7.  Changing Landscape                      April 9, 2014
6.  Are You Ready?                            February 8, 2013
5.  Taking the Test                               February 9, 2014
4.  Where I Grew Up                          November 18, 2013
3.  Chapter 6 in Down on the Farm     May 9, 2014
2.  Breakfast at the Crema Cafe          November 30, 2013
1.  Breakfast at Bluephies                   January 30, 2014

My final anniversary note is to thank you for the interest in my attempt at a blog fiction serial piece, "Life on the Farm."  The challenge of writing about a farming community inside my head and heart is hopefully improving my writing - I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Some other notes about this little noticed anniversary:
The total number of days between Saturday, July 21st, 2012 and today - 730 days.

If you want to include the starting date and the ending date, then it would actually be731 days.  All total I missed blogs on 50 days.

Since the blog started there were 520 weekdays and 210 weekend days.

The total time span from 2012-07-21 to 2014-07-21 is 17,520 hours or 1,051,200 minutes.
You can also convert 730 days to 63,072,000 seconds

Thanks for reading and thanks for sharing, re-posting, and re-tweeting my blogs.  You make this a worthwhile avocation.

I'll write you tomorrow!

Comments