Running with Sausages

Overheard  while running with the Sausages yesterday:

"I just smoked the Bratwurst!"

It's certainly nothing like running with the bulls in Pamploma, but more a lot more fun getting out with the iconic Brewer mascots.

The plucky tubes of meat not only hosted their 16th Annual 5K Run/Walk, they were running it as well!

Bratwurst, Hot Dog, Chorizo, Polish, and Italian.

I know I passed the Brat, Hot Dog, and Chorizo - but never could ketchup with the spicy Italian sausage.

Frankly, I never saw the Polish sausage after the race started.

In an event like this, everyone that takes part is a weiner.

It was a woman running with several friends who was excited to catch up to the Brat after the first turn.  She didn't seem interested in grilling the hard-working piece of meat, but she wanted the German link to know she caught him.

The run travels the perimeter of Miller Park's parking lots from the right field parking lots around to the right field line where the route entered the stadium.

The original Rocky was showing on the big scoreboard with the pulsating Rocky theme to fire us up as we traveled the warning track from one foul pole to another.  I high-fived a security guard while circling behind home plate, and took in the field level view of the 43,000+ seats.

The race went off at 8 in the morning, so we could avoid most of the heavy humidity expected to settle in later in the day.  Cloudy skies dominated at the start of the run, but sunshine came out to create a festive environment for the 4,500 runners and walkers.


The Brewers Community Foundation puts on the 5K with the help of the Famous Klement's Sausages - this year raising funds to support the Fischer House which provides lodging for family of veterans receiving care at the Milwaukee Veterans Hospital.

One little thing I haven't figured out in these things is my drinking problem.  Really, volunteers hand you a paper cup half-full of water as you run past and it is downright difficult to get as much water down your throat as ends up on your shirt and shorts.  If there's a way to do it better, I've yet to learn how.

The return to Wisconsin helped put this event on my plate, and I must say I relished the experience to run around the warning track and see the Brewer's home field in a different light.  A ballpark without a game is a kinetic structure that bursts with anticipation of the impending strikes, hits, runs, and fantastic plays.  There's an echo of cheering that seems to bounce off the parking lot lightpoles and inside the stadium.

At the end of the run, each runner and walker received a voucher to use at one of seven possible Brewer home games; a bottle of water; a can of Miller Lite (had to be old enough for this one); and a hot dog.

I enjoyed one with the Secret Stadium Sauce and sweet relish after gulping down the Aquafina.  Although it was barely 9 a.m., I was going to enjoy a cold can of beer until I saw the long-line of other thirsty runners. Good thing I brought some Mountain Dew!

It was a good day on the course and my best results since I started running four years ago.  No one will ever confuse me with an Olympic athlete, but I met my goal with a finish of 26:52 that was good for 21st in my age group (50 - 59); 269th male; and 370th overall.

Now I have to decide which Brewer game to attend with this voucher!

The 5K did leave me with a burning ember in my mind about the race's menu - I wondered serving hot dogs made the hosts a little queasy with their cousins on the menu while they were working so hard to make it a great day?

Comments