Live in the Now

I was listening to some of the radio pre-game before the Major League All-Star game Tuesday night and one of the players uttered these immortal words:  "I just try to live in the now."

Maybe it's just me, but don't we all have to live in the now?

Just what other time are we supposed to live?  Maybe in the first sentence?  Or, maybe we could live in tomorrow?

I'm not sure I understand.  If I still had the flux-capacitor and a John DeLorean sitting in the driveway to take me to any time I wanted to go - it would still require living in the now.

Lest we be tempted to think different; it's certainly OK to reminisce and it's quite alright to dream about the future; but when it comes right down to it we better live in our moment.  Today is the day we have to do our best; to help our fellow man (or woman); to serve the world.

Yet, if we only concentrate in this exact moment - it can present problems of its own.  We don't thaw the roast since we aren't hungry, and when we are there is no meat to grill.  We live in the now and there is no reason to save for a rainy day or our future retirement.

There might be a middle ground - to live and be in the now - and plan for the now in the days to come.  It may help us live less distracted lives if we stop thinking about what waits behind every corner.

Of course, living in the now is a bit tricky... since right NOW... just passed us a couple seconds ago.

Comments