Blood by the Gallon


It took three people to draw my blood yesterday.

My first phlebotomist, Jane, had drawn blood from my arm last time, so all seemed fine.  However, I believe the anticipation of the needle stick made me move ever so slightly which left the needle under the skin, but not in the vein.

Jane tried to determine the cause of the problem, then called over another Red Cross blood-taker before asking a third person, Emily, to give me a try.

I was asked during the procession of Red Cross personnel to my arm if I wanted to call it a day after a few minutes of the empty needle and tube hanging from the inside of my elbow.

Looking was not an option for me... I simply took them at their word.  But, this particular donation was the 80th in my lifetime, so I really didn't want the milestone marked (literally and figuratively) with an empty needle-stick.

Youth has its advantages, and Emily confidently sized up my right arm and quickly popped into the vein and the oxygen filled blood started flowing!  Yay!

It only took 6 minutes forty-three seconds to fill the pint-sized bag.  The needle was removed.  I held a gauze patch over the hole above my head for a minute or two then was bandaged, wrapped, and sent to the canteen for a Keebler Jumbo Fudge Stick (reason alone to be a blood donor) and some Cranberry juice.

I admit, I am quite the wimp when it comes to having the needle plunged into my arm.  After all these times I thought I would get used to it, but the expectation of the needle stick still causes anxiety.

Once the needle is properly inserted and the blood is flowing - everything is good and I'm glad to be able to make the donation.

The reason for writing about this is to (hopefully) encourage you to give blood, if you can.

There is a significant blood shortage in the United States right now.  Donations are typically fewer in the summer, but the need continues every day in every hospital. In fact, every two seconds someone in this country needs blood.

Each pint can potentially help three people.

The pain is brief, the good feeling of helping people you don't know lasts much longer.

Look for a blood drive or blood center near you - whether it's with the Red Cross or the Blood Center website to find a location you can roll up your sleeves.

I've given blood both places - and while they only track donations at their locations - they are kind enough to recognize the overall total.  Today was my 56th time with the Red Cross, so the other 24 came at Blood Centers in Des Moines, Iowa and Indianapolis, Indiana.

Please give. 

Comments