Scenic Shore 150 Ride

In less than a month it will be time for my first multi-day ride in nine years.

Mequon to Manitowoc is day one - 75 miles scheduled, but I understand there is an optional 25 mile loop so riders can make it an even 100 for the first day.

Just one night in the lakeside city of ship and submarine building and the next day is 75 more miles into the Door County peninsula with an arrival in Sturgeon Bay.

It's a ride that peaked my interest because it travels fairly close to Lake Michigan, an area of the state I've not ridden my bike.  In mid-July getting to be "cooler by the lake" sounds like a very good idea.

Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Wisconsin puts on the ride to raise funds toward meeting its mission: cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.  My dad had been diagnosed with what was called pre-leukemia - a blood disorder where the body is not effectively producing blood cells.

You would be a perfect sponsor for my ride, if you would like to help.  A gift of any size will help meet the fundraising goal and provide encouragement and some energy for the inevitable hills sure to be along the route.  If you would like to help or learn more, just click here to get to my ride page.

Back in Indiana, a student I knew had their own personal battle with leukemia.  One of the toughest, bravest, and strongest individuals I've ever met.  It was a privilege to get to know the student, and hearing their witness and confidence in the middle of something that would have most of shaking in their boots is inspiring.

I ride for her, too.

You may have your own connection to leukemia, lymphoma, or blood disorders.  Your gift not only supports research for a cure - it works to improve the quality of life for patients and their families.   

While gifts provide extra energy for the ride - your prayers for a safe ride are requested - for those for whom we ride, and those on the bikes and helping along the way, so all may experience a safe and pleasant ride.

The two day trip starts Saturday, July 19 at 7:30 am and I'm looking forward to riding alongside other bikers as we try to settle into the right zone of revolutions per minute and correct gear to reach the sweet combination of effort and exertion.

There will be some opportunities to take pictures of places and no doubt some very good food to turn into fuel along the route - in addition to blogging about the ride, I'm hoping to ride across some other blog topics about food, bikes, and sights in Wisconsin.

Comments