Personal & Confidential - Really?

This piece of mail showed up in my mailbox the other day.

The large and urgent message, "Personal & Confidential," caught my eye.

But, as I looked it at the envelope it seemed that several things didn't add up.

It's personal and confidential, but other than the correct street number, it's addressed to Current Resident!

Really, how personal and confidential can it be if the sender doesn't know the name of the person they are sending this vital information.

There is the presorted standard bulk postage in the upper right hand corner, so they want me to think the message is personal, but not so personal to actually mailing it in person.

There was no return address on the front or back of the envelope - so it's personal information from someone or someplace afraid to tell me who they were before I opened it.

Now, my day-job is related to fund-raising, so I've been part of sending fundraising letters to large groups of people.  This piece did not make a good impression, and after giving it approximately 20 seconds of attention, I decided if they couldn't be bother to learn the identity of the poor schlump picking it out of their mailbox, I couldn't be bothered to open it.

If they want to try again, I urge them to send it to me on my birthday.

If they have at least that much information and my name correct, I might even open it!

Comments