I Dare Ya!

It's Dare Day.  Another one of those obscure days to recognize, salute, or make a call to action.

So, I dare you.... to tell someone about this blog.

There, that's an easy one.

I suspect that dares are primarily a thing boys do.  At least dares to get their friends to do typically stupid things.

I dare you... to jump off the roof; go punch that big kid; walk in late to class; or walk across the top railing of the bridge over the waterfalls.

Did any of your "friends" dare you to do something?  Is it a good memory or not so hot?

Or maybe you played "truth or dare," a game that had most of us choosing the dare since we probably didn't want to answer the questions that might come our way.

It's likely that it's because most dares tossed my direction would have been nearly 40 years ago now, but I don't recall very many dares that I carried out.  I suspect that's a good thing.

Dares are another form of peer pressure that may tell you more about your friends than your own intestinal fortitude.

Maybe the best kind of dare is the program started two decades ago - Drug Abuse Resistance Education - delivered into classrooms starting at a young age the idea works, but not enough to wipe out the siren call to foolish and escapist behavior.

Sometimes the biggest dare is in front of us each day - getting up, going about our business, heading home, and doing it all over again the next day.  Do that to your best, everyday.   I dare ya.

Comments