Taking the Tour de Cure

Today, I'm out on my bike riding the Tour de Cure for the second time.

My first was in 2010 around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  It was a very hot and humid day - my goal was riding 100 miles - and I made it 50 and was more exhausted than any other time I rode my bike.

Just looking at the forecast it would seem I have cool temperatures and how much to wear to handle this go-round and that's fine with me.  I can always add a layer.

It's a 100 kilometer ride for the American Diabetes Association.  The effort raises funds to provide community based education programs, fund research for a cure, and help protect the rights of people with diabetes.  If you would like to help, click on the link and you will go to my personal page to make a donation if you like.

Little gifts and big gifts add up as this ride is repeated around the country to support friends, family, and neighbors - some 26 million people - who have diabetes.  While I don't have it, I know (and I'm sure you do too) folks who manage it everyday.  This ride is for them.

Yielding the right of way is one way you can help out today - if you see some riders - just slow down and give us a little room as we pedal together in this effort.  A little more than 400 riders are expected for Madison's edition.

We head north, making a tight rectangle by the time we return to the American Family Headquarters in time for lunch.  I know Arlington is one of the first communities we pass through - the rest I'll learn as I go.

I'm taking my camera and plan to have a bit of blog update for you tomorrow.  It's my first ride of the year, so we'll see how it goes.  The bike was just prepared for the season down at Atkins Bike Shop in Verona with new gear shifts, so I should be all set to go.

Keep the rubber on the road!

Comments