First Ride

It's not what most of us expect for weather on May 17 - 40 degrees - it felt more like late March or early April.

But, it wasn't snowing or raining when it was time to leave the start line for a 100 kilometer trip in the Tour de Cure.

Fortunately, the sun was shining and the wind wasn't too bad.

My weather gear is an interesting hodge-podge of stuff since I usually wait for warmer weather to ride; it did the job yesterday.  A set of ear wraps kept the cold air out of my ears and a pair of common wool work gloves kept my hands warm even if they wouldn't win a fashion show.  I broke out a long-sleeve bike jersey that was comfortable, but not too warm.

Just what to call what I wore on my legs, I'm not sure.  Calling them tights sounds strange to me - so let's just say the nylon/spandex "bike slacks" kept my legs warm without making me hot.

I was in the first group to leave from American Family's headquarters - my guess is there were about 100 of us on the line waiting to take off.

Lots to like about this event, and while its nice to challenge yourself and personal fitness level; it's a ride, not a race and there are quite a few Red Riders out on the roads.  A red rider is a biker who has diabetes identified with a special jersey.  Part of the fun was saying, "Go, red rider," whenever you passed or were passed by one.

You know as a rider what you want out of an event like this.  Start on time, give clear directions, enough signing on the road to keep you on the right path, well-stocked stops along the way, and attention to detail.  Kudos to the event coordinators - of the organized rides I've taken over the last dozen years, this is one of the most efficient.

Food and service stations (in case a bike needed attention) were available roughly every ten miles to keep the riders hydrated and with sufficient fuel for the journey.  I really liked the home crafted peanut butter sandwiches.

Our route headed north - near or through Windsor, DeForest, Morrisonville, Arlington, Poynette, and then turned south passing through lots of wildlife refuge space and then stopping in Keyeser, and Windsor before completing the route. 

It was a perfect day to ride and lots of fun for my first time out this year.  There were less than a half dozen "character building" hills on the route and some nice downhills that made the climbs worth it.

No personal record set, but I'm pretty happy with the readings on the bike computer at the end of the trip:  62.06 miles; 4:20 actual riding; and an average speed of 14.03 mph.

Best of all, I'm really looking forward to my next bike adventure!

Comments