Original Pancake House

It surprised me when I couldn't find a blog post about Madison's Original Pancake House.

When they were named to Madison Magazine's Top 13 Tastiest Pancakes - I knew I had been there and found the pictures taken in March, 2013 when I enjoyed their Chocolate Chip Pancakes.

But, I couldn't find the blog - and I never wrote about the '49er - the pancake that put them into pancake royalty.

Apparently, other 'news' took the spotlight from the Original Pancake House at the end of last March.

The Original Pancake House is a chain, but allows individual franchise owners latitude in how to decorate and set up their store.  There are 100 pancake homes across the country - just four in Wisconsin - and the one I had eaten in previously is in Indianapolis on 86th Street.  That restaurant is a very well-appointed and kind of fancy place for a good breakfast or a family dinner.


The one on Madison's University Avenue is more home-like with regular customers - counter service - and a cafe type interior with the focus on the food.

I came in to try out the 49er and was not disappointed.  It's a very thin pancake, almost like a crepe, with a very buttery taste that was perfect with the dollop of whipped cream and maple syrup.

All these restaurant blogs are making it tough to keep me in "fighting trim," so I asked about a half-order and they were able to make my short stack smaller than their normal size that hang over the edges of the plate.   I appreciated that.


It's a friendly restaurant with fair prices and special local roasted coffee to wake up the patrons.

There's some more Madison area pancake shops to visit - now that the weather is starting to improve enough to get out and ride - maybe I can start riding to breakfast.

Get your griddle on!

Comments