Sportsman of the Year


While living in Indianapolis, I never wavered in my devotion to the Green Bay Packers.

The first day at Lutheran High, a sophomore asked me at lunch if I would become an Indianapolis Colts fan.  "No, sorry, it doesn't work that way," I replied.  "I've been a Packer fan longer than the Colts have been in Indianapolis."

My NFL Sundays were planned well in advance depending on several variables.  If the Packers were in a nationally televised game that I could watch on the local Fox or CBS affiliate, that meant I could watch from home.  Otherwise, it was a trip to the nearby Buffalo Wild Wings.

Just so I could save a good spot (my Dad joined me to watch the game), I would get to the restaurant around 11 or 11:30 for a 1pm eastern time start.

It was common to see other fans wearing Green and Gold in the BW2, and we would cheer and groan together during the course of the afternoon games.  Some Sundays, the Colts were also playing, so I would watch them in between Packer plays or during commercials.  I wasn't a fan, but I liked to know how the local team was faring.

Later, in my last school year at Lutheran, we had a special treat.  A friend of the school was the winner in an auction for an appearance by the Colts quarterback.  The winner set it up so the students at LHSI would get the visit.  It was a big deal, but a condition was that the school couldn't publicize or talk about it until after the visit.

Years later (and for many years to come), I will remember the small role I had for that visit.  It was my job to handle the back entrance of the school (outside doors kept locked during the day) and allow the QB and his "people" inside.

About ten minutes ahead of schedule, a young woman arrived to confirm everything was set up and ready to go.  Then a few minutes later a nice pick-up truck drove up with a young man driving.  It came to a stop, and Peyton Manning got out the passenger side.

I was at the door to hold it open, and as he approached I welcomed him to Lutheran High School and thanked him for coming.  He looked at me, making eye contact, said "Hello," and asked how things were as he walked inside.

My first impression was how tall he was - something you don't notice so much when watching games on TV.  Second, though, was being thoroughly impressed that on the way in to make a speech, he took time to acknowledge someone he could have walked right past.

During my career in news I had opportunities to meet other political, sports, and media celebrities.  Very few would have acted the way Peyton did that day.

It was a small thing.  A small moment in a day with many bigger ones.  He gave a great speech and shared his faith with a rapt audience of students and teachers.

I thought about his parents, Archie and Olivia, and the great job they did in raising their son.

My time with Peyton Manning that day was less than 20 seconds... and in that brief encounter I would say I saw for myself one of the reasons the writers and editors of Sports Illustrated chose him as their Sportsman of the Year 2013.

Congratulations Peyton from a life-long Packer fan.

Comments