Missing Winter

Would you believe we missed the winters in Wisconsin?

I did.  Indianapolis had a lot of wonderful things, but a winter wonderland wasn't one of them.

Mostly, the months from November to March are cloudy, rainy, maybe some spurts of rain, sleet, or snow... but no real, honest-to-goodness winter.

Just after being at Lutheran High a few weeks in December, 2005 - about midday - the snow started to come down.  Heavy.  My office partner, Mike, looked at me about 3 o'clock and said I better start for home (I was staying with my folks in Carmel - a long drive - at that time).  It took well over an hour on snow covered I-465, but I got home safely and enjoyed a snow day the next day.


In that storm, Indy received 7" and not another single storm dumped that much on the city for the rest of our stay.

Last year, in the first winter back in Wisconsin came storm Draco (lots of blogs about that you can find, if interested, Dec 19-21) and more than 20" in one storm.

You know, to be clear, I don't love driving in heavy snow.  But, it's part of life up north.  Most of the other drivers on the road know how to drive in it.
The tree, above right, is usually right in front of my parking space at Oakwood Village in Madison.  The second day after the storm, I went back to work after working from home a day and found it like this, branches loaded with snow.

Working at the Oakwood Foundation is the same, but also very different from my work at Lutheran High School.

I primarily meet with donors and prospective major donors who may want to support the mission and ministry of our Continuing Care Retirement Community.  There is also writing - fundraising letters and brochures - and helping organize our events.

The much more focused approach is possible since the Foundation here has staff to handle some of the things on my plate back in Indy.

I loved my time at the high school, and am enjoying my time here at Oakwood Village.  In both places, I've been blessed to work with good people who are fun to work with and get the job done.

My first day up in Madison was August 6th, 2012.  Some of my experiences here I've written about, so I would consider you pretty much up to date in my still evolving autobiography.

Oh, for lunch today I had leftover spaghetti, so now you are up to date!


Comments