Brain Cabinets

Mark this down as one of the things I should have started doing some time ago.

Just this past week, while fiddling around with the blog website, I noticed it was possible to install key words or labels on the blogs.  This might make it easier to track general topics that I write about - biking, Packers, me (biography and career), family, Brewers, observations, etc - in case you wanted to read a string of blogs on a particular subject.

I know some readers enjoy the bike blog posts, while others have liked seeing the pictures of various meals and stories about places I've stopped for breakfast or lunch.  Check Biking or Cafes and you should get a string of those topics sorted out for you now.

Looking through more than 400 posts to attach labels was a good way to spend the past weekend, and provided some insight into what I actually did write about and notice the changes in blog writing style since starting this in July, 2012.  For the most part, there are longer posts and more pictures.  I strive to use my own pictures for the blog if at all possible, but am still building up a library of shots - and doing that without many repeats.  (I certainly don't succeed at that all the time.)

You can find the Blog topics and other new "gadgets" on the right side of the blog homepage.  On my screen it's a little black rectangle near the top of the screen that slides out when you hover over it.  There is a new translate gadget, archives, the blog topic gadget, and a couple of others.  There are more I could add, but so far do not seem to have a reason to do so.

It might be a function of getting older, but I've noticed some themes in some of my posts - railing about the incivility in Washington; the beauty of creation; the fun I have biking; and numerous thoughts about the Packers, Badgers, and Brewers.  So far, the Bucks haven't given me much to write about - I hope that changes soon.  (I don't have any of my own pictures of the Milwaukee Bucks, so may need to get to a game to remedy that situation this season.  While in Indiana, I was blessed to get to one or two games a season when they came into town to play the Pacers.)

Wouldn't it be nice if we could do an occasional clean-up in our brains?  You know, re-organize thoughts and ideas into clean and tidy places so that when we need to look up a name to put with a face that file drawer would open and produce an answer?  

That's exactly what we have - some days it works better than others - but a wonder to behold and contemplate when we realize how fast a long forgotten name pops into our head just when we need it to be there.

An upside to the new blog filing system... I didn't need to file them according to the Dewey Decimal System.  Speaking of that, it's probably another of those things folks of my generation needed to know before entering a library that is pretty much kaput these days.

Have an awesome day - 9 days until Thanksgiving!

Comments