Bleeding for Bucky!

There are a limited number of Homecoming activities for middle aged men (oh my! I resemble that comment!!) who are not alumni.

So, with a bit of fortunate timing and timely e-mail, I registered for the Homecoming Blood Drive on the U.W. campus yesterday.

The first time I ever gave blood was on the Drake campus in Des Moines.

74 needle sticks later, I was back on a campus.

I helped move the proverbial needle on the average age of donors, but only slightly, given all the college students rolling up their sleeves.

In the expansive lounge of Ogg Hall close to the Kohl Center, the Red Cross set up shop.  Friendly students at the registration table and what seemed to be 20 - 25 cots were ready for giving customers.

After the usual questions, finger prick, blood pressure, and pulse-taking - it was time to get on the cot.

Shannon was the young lady ready to draw a pint.

I always thought after giving a number of times I would get used to it.  Not so much.  Shannon said I frightened her at my reaction to the needle going in.  I asked if the blood was flowing well.  She said yes, and asked if the pain was subsiding.  It was getting lower, but still like a pencil had been stuck into the inside of my elbow.

Her suggestion, it might be scar tissue in the skin that has made donating more painful.  Since I started giving blood, I've only used my right arm a few times.  It can't hurt - and hopefully will hurt less - next time when I let them give my right arm a shot.

The feeling of being able to help others conquers the brief sharp pain.  If you can, I encourage you to give - blood is needed everyday, in every city.

After topping off the bag, I was sent on my way to the refreshment area for a slice of pizza (a benefit of donating on a college campus) washed down with water and a Pepsi.  Oh, and these wonderful Jumbo Keebler Fudge Sticks.

It was worth it.   And, I gave blood and got this great Homecoming T-shirt!

If I can bleed for Bucky, surely I can except a couple drops on the Camp Randall field as the State University tangles with their Big 10 rivals.

Go Bucky - beat the Wildcats!

Comments