Oh say, Can you see?

I wear contact lenses, have since freshman year of college except for a few years when I was doing early morning drive-time news on the radio and just couldn't pry my eyes open to pop the little pieces of film and water into them.

As my eyes have gotten older (not me, of course, just my eyes) the contact prescription has changed to some calculated formula where one lens helps me see things far away and the other helps bring things closer to me into focus (like the flowers to the left).

I usually pop the lenses out a couple of hours before going to sleep and then wear my glasses.  However, I take off the glasses to read or use the computer.

It was doing that last night when for some reason, very small gremlins crept out of the hard drive and up the mouse onto my hand and somehow snapped the right temple right out of the hinge on my glasses.

Yikes!  Because these had been flexible temples (bending past 90 degrees) there was a little plastic do-hickey (technical term, I looked it up) there was no screw to put back into place and the thought of wrapping it in scotch tape wasn't doing it for me.

Instead, I balanced it.  The left temple and earpiece in place and the bridge balanced somewhat precariously on my nose.

It was OK - I was able to watch TV and even get through my workout the next morning - and glad to not have company in the fitness room.

After re-applying the contacts, I took in the broken frames to my eye doc and they were able to glue it back into place.

They warned me it was just a temporary fix and my frames were so out of style I'd be lucky to find a replacement to go with my lenses.   Lucky for me there are antique shops around Madison and a backup pair of specs that used to belong to a B. Franklin will just have to do until the vision insurance kicks in again.

Comments