Did you see the sign?


My first thought when I saw the flashing red lights was that someone was in trouble.

I quickly pulled off the highway and was more than a little surprised to see the Wisconsin State Trooper pull behind me.

My second thought was that I've heard about these places where police will stop folks who are doing a good job obeying the rules of the road and award some kind of commendation.

"You turned right on red, did you see the signs?"

"No, officer," was my reply, "I didn't see any signs.  I'm sorry."

"Well, they are clearly posted and you will receive a ticket, may I see your license, registration, and proof of insurance?"
After fumbling through the glove compartment, the officer went back to the car.

Next thoughts in a much more jumbled brain - 'really, there was a sign?  I didn't see any signs - there wasn't any traffic coming - why am I getting a ticket for this?'

In more than 40 years of driving I never received a ticket.

Why now?  Why get stopped when there is a guest in the car?  Is there a way I can check to see if the signs are visible?

The intersection is a long way from work and home, so it was only recently that I was back and armed with a camera to see if I missed the signs hiding in plain sight.

The above shot is from the same position I was in that afternoon and apparently - in the midst of driving, finishing a road trip, and having a conversation my brain just couldn't process the information from a cacophony of images.

I was in the wrong - mailed in the money well in advance of the "court date" which would have been yesterday in Jefferson County.  I still can't believe it, but I promise you this - I'm looking and re-looking at every stop sign and stop light now.

Be careful out there and pay attention to the signs. 

Comments