Berry Berry

Whenever I see the little red berries hanging from a Honeysuckle bush - there is a little pang of guilt and regret that runs through me.

It's not over something I actually accomplished, but over the thoughts in the heads of little (5-8 years old) boys.

These plants grew along the property line at our home - and my friend and I decided it would be the perfect antidote to an annoying (and even littler) girl that seemed to follow us around when we had 'important' things to do.

I recall carefully mixing the red berries with dirt and water into what we thought might be a tasty mixture that the girl would willingly eat.

From there our thoughts were more abstract in nature, I believe.  I'm sure we didn't actually want to bring harm to the girl (no, I don't remember her name, but that is probably for the good), we just wanted her to leave us alone.

Birds love the berries.  Humans not so much.  I read today they are mildly poisonous to us two-legged folks.

Such are the dangerous and strange and evil minds of little boys - even little boys with perfect attendance in Sunday School.  Over the years when I'm reminded that time - it's with relief and gladness that nothing came of it.

Maybe that's why I still don't like eating stuff when I don't know exactly what is in it!

Comments