3 - 2

That's their record, three wins and two losses.

When I have been in the "house" this season.

Now, a record slightly better than .500 is not something you would normally write about; however, when the team is 53 - 70 in the games I've not seen in person... the problem becomes clear.

They need me at these games.

Is it possible this is all a mere coincidence?  Is it possible that whether I am there or not means nothing?

No, I didn't think so either.  

As we walked in Tuesday night, the first thing that happened after passing through the turnstile was an usher handed me $10!

How cool is that?  In the world outside of professional sports stadiums, $10 could easily feed a family of six with a trip to the grocery store.  Inside the stadium, $10 is good for a bratwurst and a discounted bottle of water.

 The Brewer's owner announced at the end of July (shortly after the Ryan Braun suspension was announced) that every ticketed fan to every August home game would receive a voucher good for $10 at stadium concession or merchandise stands.

The cynical among us could point to such an idea as a blatant ploy to help us forget the disappointment that Braun's admission to taking P-E-Ds (Performing Enhancing Drugs) was to Brewer fans.

Well, even with that - it's not something the club had to do - and with that I appreciate the gesture.

The first $10 voucher went for a Brat and a big bag of Brewer popcorn.  The next one is already sitting with the tickets for the September home game.
Braun seemed to be a perfect fit for Wisconsin.  He seemed earnest.  He talked about how much he wanted to stay in the state for his whole career.  He was a great player.

How much of that was the PEDs?  I don't know.  I doubt anyone really knows.  I look forward to hearing his explanation.  He can be forgiven.  We are all forgiven through the blood of Christ.  Part of being a baseball fan is the enduring optimism for a better season, a better result, and the thought your team can actually win it all.

I've been a Brewer fan practically my whole life.  They have never, "won it all."  They came to Milwaukee when I was six.  I fell asleep to the sounds of Merle Harmon and Bob Uecker calling the games of the woeful club through the 1970s.  The only time they played in the World Series was 1982, my sophomore year of college - they lost in seven games to the Cardinals (now the National League rival that they finally beat Tuesday).

This season has been an injury and PED riddled disaster.  But the games go on - there is remarkable talent on the field (still) - and there is next year.

That's why I go, it's why I listen and watch every game I can.  Baseball is a lot like life - peaks and valleys; wins and losses; amazing victories and crushing defeats - but there is a game tomorrow and a new season ready to unfurl next year.

Let's go, Brewers!   Hey, anything might happen - the Hot Dog won the sausage race Tuesday night and has the lead over the other four coming back from trailing in the boiling hot race earlier in the season.  If the Hot Dog can beat the Chorizo, Italian, Polish, and Brat... the Brewers could win the World Series in 2014!

Really.  They could.


Comments