The Oregon Trail

OK, it's not the Oregon Trail, and maybe not a trail unless you can call it a trail made of asphalt with white and yellow lines.

But for an early morning Saturday breakfast ride - heading to Oregon (Wisconsin pronunciation - OR e GONE) seemed like a good direction to point my bike.

It wasn't long after six when I hit the road which was quiet and offered a nice variety of "rollers" (fairly easy hills), clear road, and a tailing wind.

In the fields lining the road corn is standing tall, having grown rapidly during the recent warm and humid days which is said to make it grow so fast it can be heard growing.   I asked a friend who lives in a home surrounded by corn, they report not being woke up by growing corn.

The incentive to the ride lay in Oregon... breakfast!  I had forgotten they offered chocolate chip pancakes, which combined with some Mt. Dew, provided a nice bit of fuel for the ride back home.  The friendly waitress took care of re-filling my water bottle and I was out the door heading north.

Oregon has become a bedroom community to Madison over the years, linked with a four lane highway to the Capital City.  The downtown has the charm of a small Wisconsin Village, with friendly places to eat and shop and spend a little time and cash.

Along the way, a hawk perched high on a power pole was screaming at me.  I wasn't sure if it was cheering; sizing me up as an entree; or warning me away from any nearby young hawks.  In any case, it was a loud, piercing, screech I don't recall hearing before while out on the bike.  I wonder if it screams at passing cars too?

The ride was without incident and completed within a couple of hours on the bike.  It can't compare to the legendary Oregon Trail settlers and pioneers took across the continent to find their home.  They also had no intent to return home, instead, they pointed their chin toward the west and their future... and off they went.

Wherever your trail may lead - go with gusto!








Comments