Take Me Home, Country Roads

I hear her voice
In the mornin' hour she calls me
The radio reminds me of my home far away
And drivin' down the road I get a feelin'
That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday

Country Roads, take me home
To the place I belong...


It was John Denver's first big hit, way back in 1971.  It's the song that comes to mind on stretches of country roads like this in Sauk County. Interestingly, neither Denver or Bill and Tammy Danoff who wrote the song, had ever been to West Virginia, or (I bet) Sauk County.

On a bike, this kind of road seems to stretch for miles.  The farm looks like a mirage.  The far hill looks like a thigh killer just laying in wait to take me down when I get there.  The power poles pass by nice and slow - slow enough to read "High Voltage - Come on fool, don't be climbing this thing!"

In a car, the road invites a little louder volume on the radio and crank up the tunes - especially something like "Love Shack," "Whip It," or even "I Love a Rainy Night" - and press the accelerator closer to the floor and scoot just a bit faster over the black ribbon of highway to the promise that waits.

As the deejay segues from "Love Shack" to "Country Roads," the eclectic change of mood and melody grabs hold before you realize the songs have a lot in common.  Whether down a stretch of Georgia asphalt or the mountains of West Virginia; we are driving with our heart back to the ones we love.

It may not be on your radio in 2013 - it could be your little Ipod Shuffle, Satellite Radio, Eight Track, Cassette, or the music box of your mind - let it play and sing.



Comments