Daisy, Daisy...

Give me your answer do,
I'm half-crazy, all for the love of you!

It won't be a stylish marriage;
I can't afford a carriage.

But, you'll look sweet,
Upon the seat,
Of a bicycle built for two.

The song, written in 1892 by Harry Dacre, was one of the old (I never knew exactly how old until today) songs my Dad liked to sing while he worked or drove or walked.  It's catchy and light and quickly paints a picture of a young couple riding away from the Chapel perched on their seats in their Wedding finery.

My thought is the scene would only improve if the young lady were carrying a beautiful bouquet of actual Daisies to match her name.

Just a bike, a couple of seats, and very likely a tiny honeymoon cottage just down the path from the Chapel that would just have to do as their home and vacation spot.

I doubt many would actually want to trade places with the actual scenario, but it sounds ideal in its isolated from reality - just the two of us - kind of picture the song creates.

Later, much later after Harry wrote the song, it was used in various movies and comic books.  The computer Hal sings it as it 'melts down' in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Yellow centers in the flowers shine as the sun, surrounded by bright rays emanating from the bright star in the center - which was exactly where Daisy Bell (the actual name of the song) is in the universe of the singer - an earnest and not so wealthy gent hoping beyond hope to get the answer he seeks.

I found two of "Daisy's responses" to the query -

Harry, Harry,
Here is my answer true.
I can't cycle, for I get black and blue.
If you can't afford a carriage
There won't be any marriage.
For I'll be switched if I'll be hitched
On a bicycle built for two.
 and

Dear sir, Dear sir,
Listen to my heart, do!
I am crazy and deeply in love with you.
I don't need a fancy carriage,
only a formal marriage –
Let us ride soon to the honeymoon
In our bicycle built for two.
I know what will be singing through my head next time I see the flowers or get the tune caught in my head - just like Dad.

 


Comments