Bridges

Where do you want to go?

To the next place, back home, or back in time?

Bridges represent the next place for most of us; facilities that take us someplace we couldn't reach on our own.

There are human bridges too.  Folks who get us from one place to the next.

There are dozens of people like that in my life.

Folks like Mr. Carfora who taught Black History at J.A. Craig High School back in Janesville.  I think in terms of my high school education, that I learned more in that class - more life-changing stuff - than any other single class I took in my three years walking those halls.  (Note for those not in the "way-back" machine with me, at that time Janesville used a Junior High-Senior High model and High Schools started at the 10th grade.)

We learned about African-American history, culture, and difference-makers in the history of the United States.

It changed my outlook forever.  What's especially interesting in retrospect, is that at the time Janesville was 98% white, so this topic wasn't one I was going to learn just hanging out around town.

Dr. John Lytle was a professor at Drake who taught several of the news classes I took as part of my major.  He entered teaching after a career in news and could cut through the fuzz with one swift stiletto slice.  (He probably wouldn't care for that metaphor - one time in a news script - I referred to precipitation he corrected me, "Dave, call it what it is, it's rain.")

John provided counsel during my time as an undergrad and helped with landing the first and second jobs out of college.  We've stayed in touch through the years (he's still teaching) and while I've haven't "committed news" in 20 years - the subtle and strong ways he changed my life got me from that little high school geek I was and turned me into the still geeky and nerdy adult I am today.

Mrs. "G" is another bridge in my life.  She was an insurance client of mine - 93 years young when I met her the first time.  She lived on her own in a two story house with the bedroom and only bathroom on the second floor.  She lived there until turning 100, and painted the outside of the house around the first floor when she was 97.

It was always great to stop in and talk.  She was quick with a smile and we had great conversations.  I learned about her life - a husband who became bed-ridden shortly after they married and how she raised the family and took care of him - and marveled at her joy and the ways she quickly counted her blessings.

I learned more from her than any amount of help I might have provided could have paid back.

I hope you have someone like Mrs. G in your life - someone who makes you feel better than you did when you started talking and made you realize how many things there were to be thankful for in life and opportunities.  When I saw the witness of her joy and happiness - it occurred to me that things in my life weren't so bad and if she could do it and get through much more difficult hardships - then I could get through the little curb-size obstacles in mine.

Be thankful for those human bridges in your life, the people who made you feel at home, gave you the courage to look ahead, and the wisdom that comes from looking back to appreciate the journey.

As you do that, you'll be better prepared to be there as a bridge for someone else.


Comments