Behinds

There's something to be said for putting your past behind you. 

As part of a very expansive research effort - I thought it would good to quote noted philosophers Rafiki and Emerson - I'll let you figure out which one is which.

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."

The past is water over the dam and way downstream out of reach. 

#1: I know what I have to do. But going back means I'll have to face my past. I've been running from it for so long. 
[#3 hits #1 on the head with his stick]
#1: Ow! Jeez, what was that for?
#3: It doesn't matter. It's in the past.
[laughs]
#1: Yeah, but it still hurts.
#3: Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the from way I see it, you can either run from it, or... learn from it.
[swings his stick again at #1, who ducks out of the way] 

#3: Ha. You see? So what are you going to do?
#1: First, I'm gonna take your stick. 


It's a reminder for us to move ahead boldly - and if it's behind you - it doesn't matter.

While you might see a half-empty glass of regret with drinks you can't have anymore... it's time to cherish those memories and let the rest of it go.  The water still in the glass, like the days ahead of us, aren't tied to the past - so take today and tomorrow and the day after that not worried about what happened yesterday but eyes fixed on the future and the dreams it holds.





Comments