Another Farm Story

When I worked in South Dakota for KELO-TV, one of my primary responsibilities was to serve as the agricultural reporter.

In South Dakota that meant a lot of stories on cattle, wheat, and weather.

My territory was based out of Pierre, the State Capital, 150 miles either side and from the North Dakota to Nebraska borders.

Because there was a lot of ground to cover I was always concerned about the time I had to get the interviews, video, and get back to the office to write and edit the piece for that evening's news.

Before heading out, I would call around to find a farmer or rancher who would give me some time and be willing to talk on camera.  Upon arrival, we'd talk about the logistics and I'd get ready to pull my gear out of the News Truck and get started when the invitation came, "Come on in for some coffee!"

At the time, I was about 27 years old and in a hurry whether I needed to be or not, so I would decline as politely as I could.  Then another invitation would be made, more conversation, and eventually I would go inside with them and have some coffee.

Eventually, (sad to say, I don't remember how long it took to catch on) I figured out it was faster and formed a better relationship to say yes to the invitation the first time and go in for coffee.

It's a lesson that's stuck with me ever since... to slow down, take a few minutes and have a conversation.

Life goes by fast enough, slow down and enjoy the ride a little before it ends.

Comments