National Walk to Work Day... a/k/a Walk Day

Nine years ago, U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary (and former Wisconsin Governor) named this as National Walk to Work Day.

If that's not practical for you - the idea is still there for the taking - go walk!

At my workplace, we're finishing a 'health challenge' where we can earn points based on healthy foods eaten each day (whole grains, fruits, and veggies); drinking 64 ounces of water each day (not in the form of Mt Dew); exercising; and walking 3,000 or more steps each day (can't combine the last two).

Those who know me, can't believe I could ever do the healthy eating thing - but so far, so good.  It's the thing from the challenge I hope to continue after this fourth week is over.

A pedometer counts my steps each day for me and it can be a harsh taskmaster. 

Really?  Only 459 steps since I woke up to my arrival in my office!  Gotta be more than that.  So, each day, I trek to the other end of the campus, climbing sometimes 56 flights of stairs along the way to add to my step total.  On weekends, as I've written, I have joined the 'mall walkers' of the world in their natural habitat.

So, how about it?  Today (whatever day today is when you read this), go walk!  If you are someplace warm and sunny - head to the beach or an alligator-infested lagoon (probably be more of a running adventure that way); if you are in the chilly regions of the globe find a nice clean path and walk briskly for 30 minutes; if you are in a moderate climate, just open the door and head outside with kids or spouse or dogs (or all three!) in tow.

But don't let this happen to you: 

A friend of mine was told by his doctor to walk five miles a day.

So, he did.

On the eighth day, he called the doctor's office to report in.

The doc asked how it was going and the response was:

'Well, just fine, i guess... but I'm now 40 miles from home!'

Comments