Jubilation and Devastation

I don't hold myself out as any kind of runner.

There have been some races I've participated in - some 5, 8, 10k events and a half-marathon.  But, there is no way, short of some type of machine, that I could qualify for an event as prestigious as the Boston Marathon.

As I heard the news yesterday afternoon about the explosions that went off about four hours after the marathon's start - I thought of the kind of people that would have been crossing the finish line about then.

Since you have to earn a trip to the Boston Marathon with a qualifying time, many would have been taking this trek for the first time.  Excited, worn-out, jubilant with an excellent time in the best known running event in the country, if not the world.

There is a sense of accomplishment for the runner, family, and friends on the sidelines at race's end as each runner's finish is a great thing to celebrate.  For many it is a once in a lifetime thing to check off the bucket list.

Then, boom and another boom, turned the grins into faces lined with terror, fear, and concern as the smoke cleared and the grim reality became apparent.  Police and Fire personnel sprinted to action - providing care and treatment while ushering others to safety.

More questions than answers are all we have now.

It's time to pray for the survivors and family members of victims; time to pray thanks for the medical folks, public servants, and volunteers who responded quickly to the devastation.  It's time to pray for our country and our leaders.

Next, however, comes the time to decide - like we had to decide after 9/11 - whether or not to become a nation cowering behind doors in fear of shadows and rumors.

Caution and precaution needs to be taken, certainly, but as individuals and as a nation I believe we need to step out of our doorways and into life.

As Americans, it's what we do, and for those of us who are Christian, we can do so in confidence.

Psalm 23 
 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.


Comments