3 * 72

216 = xy

3 = x
72 = y

It's taken a long time.  Longer than I would have guessed sometime back when I was much more faithful, but I have finally given my 72nd pint of blood.

9 gallons.

Whew.

Using the formula given by the Red Cross, the Indiana Blood Center, and the organization in Iowa that tapped me for a couple of pints... 216 lives is the number that my blood has potentially impacted through the years.

My blood.

Just so you know, I am still a big wimp about the whole thing.  I try my best not to jump off the cot when the phlebotomist pushes the needle into my arm.  My preference is confident people on the other end of the needle and Steve, who punctured #72 did a fine job.  There have been a couple of 'dry sticks' along the way - including two times back on #70 when the phlebotomist actually had to hold the needle at just the right angle to keep the blood flowing into the bag before the time was up.  (You only have15 minutes to complete the donation.)

Interesting to me, though, is the idea that for that moment of pain and a few minutes of discomfort, I can help make a difference.  After that first minute, it's not too bad.  Trust me, if I can do this, ANYONE can do this.

Lately, I've not been on the every 56 day plan of donating, but I hope to be more faithful here as I push to gallon number ten.  It also helps to give for others.  For those who aren't allowed to bare the arm anymore because of circumstances that put them on the no-no list.  For those who have been in the hospital and received blood to stay alive.  I know people like that.

You do too.  So, if you need a reason to get up and go to the nearby Blood Drive or to a fixed location Red Cross or Blood Center, do it for somebody  else who was helped or someone who can't give anymore.

When you're done and enjoying a beverage and some snacks while the volunteers wait to see if you pass out from the experience, you will notice something else as well.

That you feel better for the experience.  Roll up your sleeve!

Comments