The Long Way Home

We all have wonderful memories of some crazy road trip back during college.

Mine started on the spur of the moment, when I was dropping off my friend at the bus station in Des Moines where he to get aboard for a long trip to Nazareth, Pennsylvania.  As we stood in line, the bus trip was cancelled because of snow.

The next place he could get on a bus to finish the trip was in Chicago.  A guy neither of us knew was in line behind us.  He too, was heading to Nazareth.

So, we invited him along.  I picked up a friend to ride along, and off we went - hitting I-80 a little before midnight.

We made Chicago by daybreak, then turned around for the return trip west on the interstate.

Other than some glare ice around Davenport, Rock Island, Bettendorf, and Moline - the Quad Cities! - the trip went reasonably well.  My friend and our 'rider' made it to their destinations, and I was back in town in time to go to work.  Fortunately, then I could operate on much less sleep.

Yesterday, it was my son's turn.  A flight back from a business conference in Virginia where he took part as leader of a college team... his flights fought their way through the wind and snow to Indianapolis early Tuesday evening; then slipped and slided his way up I-65 to Muncie only to find that the Mega Bus was reduced to a parking position by Snowstorm Saturn.

Instead of an outbound bus at 1:15am; there was time for some shut-eye before getting behind the wheel and navigating north to Madison for the rest of spring break surrounded by beaches of white, sparkling snow.

Welcome home!

Comments