Mall Walker

I've walked in malls before - Janesville Mall, Brookfield Mall, East Towne, Greenwood Park Mall, even the Mall of America - but none of those times did I think of myself as a 'mall walker.'

Today, at the Madison West Towne Mall, I became one of those people you see walking purposefully, skirting the outside of the large concourse, counting laps or steps as they seem to hug to the contours of the shopping center's shape.

It wasn't so bad.

My motivation is a 'wellness' contest at work where the number of steps walked each day counts toward the team's point total.  I usually walk enough at work to get to the right number, but weekends I may just walk to the workout (workout steps don't count - workouts count separately) , to the car, and most of all, to and from the couch.

Cruising the mall at or near middle age, it's different than those high school days hoping to make eye contact with a favorite girl, now I just try not to step on one of the adorable 'rug rats' screaming or crying that crossed my path.

My previous trips to the mall were in the guise of shopping bag or coat carrier or like many of the men I observed; sitting slouched over with blank and forlorn looks on their faces waiting for their wives to finally come out of the store.

Beside the kids - there were the small packs of high school kids.  Clumps of hormone-charged youth hoping to finally make a big impression or get the nerve to say hello to someone special.

Moms with kids in tow, wondering why their dad isn't on hand to wrangle the little ones or in search of the ultimate deal that makes the mall contest a victory.

Then there are the father with kids - wondering how they got talked into this adventure or what they could do to make this visit a short one.  Walking past one father and daughter tandem - it was with a bit of a wistful smile as the girl began a tantrum about playing, or not playing, in the mall's play park.  I felt for the father, but was glad it was him and not me as I rounded the corner and headed toward Sears.

Today, there was an Easter Bunny.  Apparently the eggs take care of themselves, because the Bunny hired him/herself out for photos with apprehensive and crying children.

It was my first time, so I'm not sure I did the whole thing correctly.

Those serious mall walkers are usually on the scene before the stores open so they can walk unimpeded.  I was a bit late for that, but avoided all potential collisions.  Walking past one father and daughter tandem - it was with a bit of a wistful smile as the girl began a tantrum about playing, or not playing, in the mall's play park.  I felt for the father, but was glad it was him and not me as I rounded the corner and headed toward Sears.


I kept my coat on.  I bought some water to drink while I walked (our contest also gives points for drinking 64 ounces every day).  I cut the corner to avoid walking through the food court.

My pedometer was my guide and three laps seemed to be enough.

I'll be back.

Comments