The Night the Lights went out in N'awlins

There's an old saying that a good reason to watch sporting events in person or on TV is that you will probably see something you've not seen before.

Well, I'd never really seen Beyonce' before - and... well... not being up to date on her music I'm not able to make much of judgement on her show.  She did seem genuine and glad to be on stage and she is pretty.  Of course, I would have been happy with 'Up with People.'  Beyonce' did help with one thing, though, since I didn't want to miss any game action and also wanted to catch the new TV spots... her act proved adequate as a bathroom break.  (You may already know this - but Super Bowl half-time is a typically heavy use time for city sewer systems throughout the country.  (Trot that out today during lunch break!))

It was less than two minutes into the second half when half the lights in the Luxury Car Dome went out.  Apparently, they had some trouble locating the fuse box - because it was more than a half-hour before the lights came back on and they could play again.

In the dark, new players exchanged uniforms with the men in the gold and red and reeled off a whole bunch of points to turn a blow-out into something pretty interesting.  I was pulling for the 49ers since they took down my Packers, but enjoyed the game.  It wasn't a work of art, but it was exciting all the way to the end as the Niners still had an opportunity to win it inside the Baltimore 10 yard line.

It was a quiet night watching the game - some Pepsi, Chex Mix, Mozzarella Sticks, Pretzels, Pizza, and Ice Cream.  

Commercials?

Well, my favorite was the JEEP spot with Oprah's voice-over showing the vehicle line born as a fighting machine being the vehicle that delivers our men and women home from duty overseas. 

The Budweiser Clydesdale spot was heartwarming as well - it seems hard to go wrong with beautiful and strong draft horses.

The other one I liked was the Pistachio commercial with Psy and Gangnam Style.  That song is catchy and the simple graphics and tagline make it memorable.  The ad agency for the nuts have done a nice job finding many ways to tell us we need to eat more of these things.  I don't like nuts, so it doesn't work for me - but I like the ad anyway. 

Thus concludes our NFL season - at least for a little while.  Teams start their new year in March, the draft comes at the end of April, and the mandatory- optional training opportunities begin soon after that.  Then training camp in late July or August and the season opens the second weekend in September.

Time to turn attention to college hoops  - let's go Bucky (nice win today over the Illini, by the way). I'll track Marquette; my alma mater Drake; and other teams as we head into March Madness in four weeks or so. There's the NBA and again I hope the Bucks can put something together (while not holding my breath). Pitchers and catchers report by early next week at the latest, so it will be time for the Brewers to grab my attention again... and that brings us back to football season.

I can't wait, let's go Pack!


Comments