the Forest for the Trees...

Yesterday I had the opportunity to stop by a church we had visited a number of times in the fall and early winter.

It's a nice church, but we kept looking for church home and made a second visit to a place we had tried once before and that second visit 'clicked,' and started to feel like a place where we might fit.

One reason was the discomforting feeling that the leader at the first place didn't know if he knew us or not.  There was a look I'm familiar with because it's happened to me - where you see someone and realize you are supposed to know them, but aren't sure why or sure who they are.  That's when a quick apologetic, 'Hey, I'm sorry.  I know I should know your name, but it's not coming to me... what is it again?' is appropriate and not a big deal.

The place we sampled a second time included a brief meeting with the Pastor.  About twenty minutes later, after that first meeting, he knew my name.  Impressive.

Due to travel, we've attended about every other week for a month... but even then while surrounded by a number of people and a congregation of 200+ the pastor remembered my name.  Wow.

Sometimes the forest is the most important thing - an organism of its own.  It can have its own habitat even its own climate and personality.  It is a massive living and breathing thing and easy to look at from a great distance.

Other times, instead of looking at an individual tree instead of the sprawling (or diminishing) forest makes all the difference.

When the chief Forester pauses to tend to the individual tree with careful pruning, some water and fertilizer, and tender loving care.... the tree grows and thrives, and so then, does the forest.

Comments