MLK Day

January 15th was the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr - but if we're going to have a Federal holiday we need to celebrate on a Monday to get a three-day weekend.

So, it's a good day to pause and recognize not only his work, but that of many brave men and women in our country's history that helped right some wrongs.

1st Corinthians 12: 25 - 26 
 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

The body that is the United States is better when we have equal concern for each otherMen and women seek meaningful employment that allow them to support their families and hope to raise children who will have opportunities to serve their fellow man and raise their own families in safe neighborhoods.

That thought seems quite simple if you think about the specifics - the individuals - in almost any situation.  

For some reason, some in our country have sought to label people and blame them for whatever issues may rise around us.  

"The One Percent" "The Gun Lobby" "Those Anti-Gun Nuts" "Conservatives" "Liberals".... etc., etc., etc.

If we don't think about the person or lose a willingness to listen - it become much easier to despise, hate, and ridicule them.  

Today, try to get beyond that.

Looking back through my education, it seems the most influential class I ever took was at J.A. Craig in Janesville, Wisconsin during my Senior Year with a young and personable teacher, Mr. Carfora.

It was called Black History.  When I think about it, it might have been an odd class for a high school in the town of 50,000 to offer, since the population was 98% white.  On the other hand, I also think everyone should have had the opportunity I did to take that class.

Like most of the classes I took in high school, very few specifics stand out.  I do remember, though, that learning about the history of African-Americans blew up some of the notions I had in my head.  I also recall the passion and energy that Mr. Carfora brought to the classroom taught me that semester what Dr. King was talking about (less than a month before I was born as it turns out) in his 'I Have a Dream speech:'

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Unfortunately, like most things, ideals are beyond the consistent reach of most of us.  They certainly are for me, but today, tomorrow, and the days to come - let's try to follow Dr. King's thought and Paul's words from Corinthians in have equal concern for each other.
More than a day off - that would really make today worth celebrating!
     

Comments