A Marathon (mini), Not a Sprint

In the last 15 years or so, I've been introduced to back pain.

Not horrific pain, I suppose, but enough to put a damper on one's day.

It apparently connects back to my six years as a TV Reporter/Photographer when I carried the equipment (Camera, Tape Deck, Tripod, Light, Battery Belt, and other miscellaneous stuff) for my job and did a bunch of lifting and twisting.

While we lived in North Wisconsin my back went 'out' for the first time.  The back spasms were horrendous, but last just a short time.  The sciatica pain lasted much longer - like a red hot poker running down the back of my left leg and all the way around my foot.  Over time, the pain receded, and as I was able - I resumed regular activities.

A second time the sciatica flared was in Indianapolis after helping a friend with a move (last time I've done that).  Same leg and in three months or so, the pain was gone.

This time has been much different.  The pain I noticed felt muscular in nature in my upper right leg and occasionally pulled when I would get up from a chair quickly or not balanced properly.  No biggie, was my reaction and I kept with my daily workouts.  It wasn't until this past weekend that I decided I should 'treat' the pain, so used some cold and heat on it.

Sunday dawned, and we had a great day - but that evening, for an unknown reason, our smoke detector went off.  It woke me and when I tried to roll out of bed, I couldn't because of this sudden spasm of pain.  Eventually, I was helped to the floor, where I spent the night.

Monday meant a trip to the Emergency Room, at UW Hospital, and nurse Kristen, and a wonderful resident doctor took care of me - medication, CT-test, and a nice warm blanket to keep me warm through the long hours in the room #3.

One statement that stayed with me is from the resident's supervising doctor, who said in his business that exercise can be a funny thing.

People he asks to start exercising, generally don't; while people who exercise daily and are told to stop for a while; don't want to stop either.

That's where I'm at - missing my time in the fitness center each day - but hope by following doctor and family member 'orders,' that I will be well again soon.

If you are working out - thank God for your health and congratulations on staying well.  If you aren't working out and could - why not start today?  Even if it's climbing the stairs where you live - activity, any activity is a good track to a healthier you.

This episode of pain is keeping me from work for a few days - hope the pain level drops to more manageable levels soon - so I can get back (get it?).

Comments