Wisconsin Lights - Sheboygan Breakwater

The Sheboygan Breakwater light guarding the entrance to
the city's namesake river.  5/21/2018 dwm photo
The Sheboygan Breakwater light was the last of four Wisconsin lighthouses we visited after crossing Lake Michigan on the S.S. Badger.

The fog was heavy and the rain light when we pulled into the city marina.  I asked where I could take some pictures and was directed upstairs to the balcony.

I didn't notice a direct or easy way to get closer to the light, so I sought out a few different angles.

The need for a lighthouse in Sheboygan was identified in 1837.  The discovery resulted in the first light built on a bluff known as North Point.
The light from the safety of the
Blue Harbor.  5/21/18 (dwm)

By 1900, as ship traffic was reaching its peak, the light was moved out to the harbor entrance where water got rough as the river met the lake.

Built in 1904, it was moved several times to get the tower closer to where needed.

The final move, according to the Lighthouse Friends website, was in 1915.
It moved a lot during its first 10 years,
but over the last 100 it hasn't moved.
5/21/2018   dwm photo

The history doesn't identify when the lantern room was removed, but it was sometime after 1942, which is why it looks it looks funny in my pictures.

When the light was automated, the lantern room wasn't needed, I suppose since there is no need to keep keepers dry.

And with that, I've secured the Wisconsin lights from the Illinois state line as far north as Kewaunee.  I hope to get those in the years to come.

There is one missing, the Racine Harbor Lighthouse.

It turns when I was there, I took pictures of a breakwater light and failed to turn around and get shots of the Racine Harbor light.

A year later, I got it.  Next Sunday you can read about it.

You can read more lighthouse blog posts here.

Comments