Word on the Street

Library poster
dwm photo
 William Shakespeare

“Bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible.”

 William ShakespeareJulius Caesar

Technically, the words weren't on the street.  The words were on signs next to the streets we ran in the Verona Public Library 5K run/walk.

Over the 3.1 mile course, I'd guess there were 20 - 30 signs offering inspirational and reflective thoughts about running and the effort to achieve.

It's a good theme for a run for a library.  While I enjoy running, it's not my first choice and I can appreciate some of the humorous signs held by family members or volunteers along the side of the road.

Some of the best ones I've seen:
  • "Worst parade ever."
  • "You aren't running slow. You are enjoying the course."
  • It says Finish on the other side.
    dwm photo
  • "There is no app for this; keep running."
Along Verona's streets and sidewalks there were quotes from noted authors and famous people who ran at some point.  There were even quotes from Virgil, a Greek Poet.  I bet you can find his books available in the stacks.

Madison has a lot of runs - fun and not so much - nearly every weekend.  This weekend alone - people raced for a cure; ran because it is the National Day of Norway; and to help folks unable to run.

Just because this one is so new, it wasn't crowded but it is growing.

The weather was a challenge, cool, in the mid 40s.  It didn't rain until after I got home, and for that I'm very thankful!

After a first mile questioning my reason for being out, I found a bit of a rhythm and finished in a respectable (for me) time of 27:18.  Oh, and here's a great thing about getting older... eventually you might win your age group!  When I checked, I was second in mine.

That's an incentive to have birthdays and keep running.

“My feeling is that any day I am too busy to run is a day that I am too busy.”

 John Bryant

Comments