Chapter 28 - Late Starts


While work seems to intensify this time of year on the farm, it's also a good time to get a little more sleep.

The sun sleeps in a little and so do I.

Since Scotty does most of the day to day work now, I don't have to be up before the crack of dawn.

Of course, with more days on the internal odometer it seems I can't actually sleep like I once did.

I fall asleep almost anywhere and anytime.  In my chair watching TV or while reading a book.  At church, and boy, does Pastor Bob give me a bad time about that!

If I try to go to sleep?  Nope, ain't happening.

Or, if I fall asleep quickly I seem to cycle back awake way too early.  Despite wanting to be energetic and all that - I don't need to be up at 3:35am.

So it's been an on-going experiment to figure out the best time to go to sleep and what I need to do to be ready for a good night's sleep.

Let me tell you, until sleeping is a problem it is hard to appreciate a good night of sleep.

The later sunrises helps adjust my circadian rhythm and actually helps me get to sleep and stay asleep.

That, and not drinking any Mt. Dew after 5pm!

A good day of work helps out, too in getting a good bit of shut-eye.

Yesterday I was riding my 1958 John Deere tractor, Jean, all day.  We started harvesting our field of sunflowers.  They dried early for us, leaving sagging heads of seeds ready to be turned into snacks for our local Little League and bird population.

The rattling, rumbling, and bouncing over the field gave me what is now called a good core workout.

We never used to call it that, we just talked about being tired to the bone.

The tractor is performing great.  The repairs and body work after the accident last spring have made her almost as good as new.

Jostling over the field made me think about watching Dad drive the tractor from early into the night during planting and harvest time.  He never seemed to stop.  Other than milking the herd early, and again before dinner, he seemed to be riding the tractor.

It's a perfect tool for what I do now.  We take care of this small number of acres off and out of the way of the primary crops.  I can hitch a wagon to her and help with harvest.

Now that our sunflowers are picked - that will start for real next week.  I'm sure I will sleep well then.

Catch up on the full series here.

Comments