My Week That Was - Sept 14

Gone with the Schwinn on the Military
Ridge Trail.  9/7/2019 dwm photo
Until last Saturday, I hadn't been on my Schwinn Traveler yet this year.  But with plans to take it on a trip, I thought I better check it out close to home.

A month ago, I had Atkins Bike Shop replace a broken gear cable and check it over since I haven't been on it in two years.  They told me the cable was all I needed and charged me $10!

There were a couple issues.

My speedometer doesn't work.  I priced a bike computer, but it would be out of place on a 40 year old bike.  I removed it.  Then set out to re-splice the cord between the scanner which measures the speed and the unit which displays it.  I won't know if it works until I also buy a new battery.

Just one other thing came up.  The front wheel is either catching or creaking.  I heard the sound, but it needs further inspection.

The ride went well as I cruised around town, then cut from west to east on the Military Ridge Trail before heading home.

I made it back in time for a quick shower and change to attend a memorial service on Oakwood's east campus.  A particular moving part came at the end of the service for the WWII veteran.  A soldier in dress uniform came in, stood at attention and saluted the flag as another soldier played Taps from outside the Chapel.

As the last notes faded, the trumpter marched in.  The two precisely unfolded the U.S. Flag.  They snapped it open so it was flat above the veteran's urn; then meticulously folded it back before presenting it to his widow.  Other than the soldier presenting the flag to the wife on behalf of the President, Army, and a grateful nation; nothing was said during the closing military ceremony.  It was moving, memorable, and deserved.

Outdoor worship and picnic
9/8/2019 dwm photo
Sunday, our church had an outdoor service and picnic.  When it was planned, I don't think anyone imagined it would be under cloudy and unable to break 60 degrees.

There was a strong turnout, and lots of great things to eat in the Sunday Brunch/Picnic which started after the 9 am service.  The occasion was Rally Day, which marks the resumption of our two Sunday services and Christian Education opportunities between them.

These riders are nearing
the end of their 112
mile ride. 9/8/19 (dwm)
Sunday was also when thousands of IRONMAN athletes rode through the neighborhood.

After returning from church, we try to stay home and out of their way.

The intersection of our street and the main road used by the cyclists is controlled by a Verona police officer.  Bikers have the right-of-way, so cars wait for his signal to move ahead or turn.  You better be ready, as some times the window in which to turn is tight.

I enjoy watching and photographing them from street-side.  When I got out there this year, the riders were wrapping up their second loop, which meant after they turned left at the intersection in the distance (photo left), they head back to Madison for their 26.2 mile run.

Bells ring out for
riders as they pass.
9/8/2019 (dwm)
Several of us made our way to the street, lawn chair in hand, to watch the racers go by.  Most people on the street are waiting for their rider.  That means following status updates on the IRONMAN app then calculating their speed to figure out when they might flash past.

Bells and signs line the route offering encouragement.  It is a race, but IRONMAN is an accomplishment of which every finisher should be proud.

The water section of a triathlon eliminates me straight-away.  I can do the ride, but I'm not sure about finishing that and running 26 more.  Congrats to all, and I hope you ride through Verona again next year.

We hosted two cook-outs for Oak Tree Circle members this week.  The OTC recognizes donors giving monthly, so it includes employees giving through payroll deduction or anyone giving automatically with a credit card or checking account.

It's a great opportunity to say thanks in an informal way and remind them of the impact their gift makes - no matter the size.

Monday was on our east campus.  Thursday on the west.  A good time was had by all.

Just another jam-packed week.  I hope your next seven days go well.

This morning at 9 - chapter 1 of "On the Air" goes live then come back at 3 CDT for chapter 2. 

Comments