Biking to Bucky, Part 11

I would buy this sweater! 6/29/18 (dwm)
On July 4 I rode back to Middleton to meet Bucky the Builder.  It was an 18 mile round trip to shoot the Badger who was in the hospital on my first day of riding to Bucky. By my count that's 235 miles pursuing Bucky by bike.

Today's Bucky on Parade: 6, 3, 60, and 81

Wisconsin Colors - # 6 - Artist S. V. Medaris

When I saw Bucky adorned in the black and white made famous by the Holstein cow, I immediately wondered if anyone is selling a sweater like the one Bucky is wearing.

I noticed Bucky's coloring could camouflage him in a pasture and the interesting birthmark right between his eyes.

Fittingly, this side of Bucky is stationed right outside the Capitol building, standing tall.

Veteran Bucky stands
in the Capitol rotunda
6/29/2018 (dwm)
Every Veteran is a Story - #3 - Artist Yvette Pino

There are traces of dirt
on Bucky's face to show
the miles of service. (dwm)
As much I as I enjoy the whimsical versions of Bucky, there is something special about statues like the one standing on the first floor of the Capitol.

Bucky is wearing fatigues or battledress representing the men and women who served or serve on behalf of Wisconsin and our nation.

A Dog Tag on the base of the statue reads, "Every Veteran is a Story."  It's not has a story, but is a story - the totality of who they are, where they are from, their beliefs, their passions, and their experience.

We do well when we heed Bucky's reminder that Every Veteran is a Story.

Sunburt - # 60 - Artist Jenny Steinman Heyden


Sunburst Bucky shines in James
Madison City Park. 6/29/18 (dwm)
It was less than two weeks after the Bucky statues were placed around the community when one went swimming.  Suburst Bucky was found in Lake Mendota just off-shore of James Madison Park.

He was rescued ant taken to the Bucky hospital for some tender loving care before returning to his display five weeks later.  June 29 was my third trip to the park looking for this Bucky.

It's too bad someone or some small group vandalized the statue and deprived others of summer joy.  Why would someone do this?  I have no idea.

That's the famous Memorial Union "Sunburst" chair in one of its featured colors sitting on Bucky in front of the lake.  A couple U.W. sailboats are sailing right past.

I was excited to see him back on parade on a day which matched his image.
Pipe wrench in hand,
Bucky is ready to work.
7/4/2018 dwm photo

Bucky the Builder - # 81 - Artist Erica Vetrovec

The other Bucky statue I missed on my first try was Bucky the Builder.  His perch across Hubbard Avenue from the Middleton Library and the Hubbard Avenue Diner was empty with a sticker which read "...in the hospital and will be returning soon."

The only bearded Bucky has a tool belt with tape measure, screwdriver, wrench, pliers, and a hammer in case the pipe wrench isn't enough to do the job.

Builder Bucky has a tool belt over
the Cardinal over-alls. (dwm)
Builder Bucky took on significance for me because I planned to get his picture the very first day I went "biking to Bucky."  His spot is close to my home, he would have been the third one I photographed, instead he was the 84th.

I'm glad he was released from the hospital and back on the job.

If you are missing any of the previous Bucky blogs, click here or come back Monday and Friday through the end of August.

Comments