Bridges of Indiana's Counties - Parke Co. - #53 Mill Creek (18/31)

Spring at the Mill Creek Covered Bridge
4/17/2010   dwm photo
The Mill Creek bridge is one of several Parke County bridges we visited twice.

However, it wasn't intentional.  When bridge photography started I drove around the county based on maps found online.

The second year I had a guide book where I could check bridges off the list.  Since the Mill Creek Covered Bridge is known by several names - I'm guessing that was part of the problem.

Also called the Tow Path bridge because before it was near the path used by mules to pull boats on the nearby Wabash and Erie Canal.

Where does the road go?         4/17/2010  dwm photo
In my photo directory, I listed it twice under each name, not clearing it up until I saw the names on the bridge portal.

None of the pictures include the creek, so I'm guessing I couldn't get down to the water.  This is one of the few bridges where I have a distant shot.

Photos like the one at right invite the viewer into the shot to learn what is on the other side.

Long before the bridge was built there was a small mill where wheat was ground into flour.  It was replaced with a steam-powered mill in 1880, but it washed out a few years later, and with it the small village disappeared into history.

Mill Creek Bridge is supported with a single span
Burr Arch Truss.  7/3/2009  dwm photo
The accounts of the Mill Creek Bridge history leaves out much of the story.

Parke County leaders asked for bids to build a bridge in 1899 and well-known builder J.J. Daniels was beat by a lower bid than his $2520 proposal.

But for some reason it took until 1907 for this bridge to open.  Perhaps, since there was no town to support it the project was passed over for other projects.

The history alludes to another covered bridge over Mill Creek, but it was long gone by the time I showed up.
Parke County, IN
internet image

Mill Creek Covered Bridge

Built:  1907

Builder:  William Hendricks when D. M. Brown who won the contract needed help

Style:  Burr Arch Truss

Length: 92 feet over Mill Creek

You can see more covered bridges by clicking.

Comments