In the Shoe Box

The Shoe Box mascot roots
for the Madison Mallards.
3/31/2018   dwm photo
Seemingly  in the middle of nowhere sits the largest independent shoe store in the Midwest.

The Shoe Box is more than a shoe store.  It's a combination of Wall Drug and the stores your mom took you to when it was time to buy a nice pair of shoes.

Since we moved to Madison five years ago it became my go to place for shoes.

The dress shoes I purchased in early 2013 at the Shoe Box held up well, but it was time for a new pair.  Instead of looking at one of the discount serve yourself places, it was time to drive to Black Earth.
The Shoe Box on U.S. 14 in
Black Earth, WI  (dwm)

Mom took me downtown Janesville to J.C. Penney's when I needed shoes as a kid.  In the shoe department a friendly salesperson would measure my foot and return with a shoe that fit me and my mom's specifications.

Just a trip browsing through the Shoe Box is fun and a bit overwhelming.  There are several birds on display, a Cockatoo (below right) lives near the work boots.  Sports photos and memorabilia fill the spaces where the shoes aren't.

New Rockport dress shoes.  (dwm)
There is a model train track hanging from the ceiling.  King Kong (or maybe Godzilla) perched on the roof.

Owner Steve Schmitt is a huge St. Louis Cardinals fan with logos, photos, and souvenirs on display.

He is hands-on.  I think I've seen him every time I've been there.  He sets the tone.  His store motto, "Service like it 'oughta be," is carried out by a crew of salespeople who stay out of the way, but ready to help when needed.

If you are used to finding and fitting shoes yourself you will be surprised and pleased by the Shoe Box experience.
The Cockatoo works in boots. (dwm)

They measure each foot, check which styles you favor then go back to what must be a large stockroom before returning with a couple pairs to try on.  The store stocks shoes from 188 companies - which means there is variety no matter what footwear you want.

The sales force may surprise you with their knowledge.  It's not just one or two sales folks either, they all know their stuff.  The shoes I've bought there fit well and are a good value.

The prices are fair.  Combined with the exceptional (and nearly unheard of) service it is fun to shop for shoes.

Some Mallard Bobble-heads on display near boots.  (dwm)
My recent trip provided evidence a lot of folks agree.  A little past nine on a Saturday morning the place was bustling with customers and hustling salesmen and women.

Just a short time later and personal fittings of my Rockport dress shoes and New Balance running shoes I was on my way.

More than shoes, Schmitt's touch can be seen at Rookie's just west of Black Earth.  The sports bar has even more memorabilia on display.

And Schmitt owns several wood bat college player summer league teams in Wisconsin, including the Madison Mallards.  This is the year I finally get to the "Duck Pond" for a game.

Comments