The Week that Was

Frozen falls  Madison, WI
1/08/2018    dwm photo
I'm going to try something new in the "They used to call me..." blog - a wrap of the week with a look to the next.  

Hopefully it will offer some smaller items that don't make their own post, but fit into a review or preview.

So, here we go....

For a mid-winter week in southern Wisconsin, it wasn't bad.

It warmed up last week for snow to fall.  It wasn't too warm so it all melted this week, that was nice.

I met a Marine.

Marines, as you may know, are always Marines.  There are no former or ex-Marines.

Just after the door opened I noticed the Marines logo in pewter on a nice necklace.  After a few minutes of conversation I learned this 98 year old woman wore it for her son who served, but also because she is a Marine.

It was a month before Pearl Harbor, she told me, when she married her husband.  She expected him to come home from work someday to tell her he was enlisting in the United States war effort.  In the meantime, the Marines opened their ranks to women.

Later, when he broke the news about joining the Navy; she announced signing with the Marines and waited his reaction.  It was to travel to Chicago together to serve their country.

You won't find many World War II Marine veterans these days.  After the war, she became a pilot.  Much later she earned dozens of medals from Senior Olympics as a sprinter in the local, state, and National level.

It's a glimpse into why I enjoy my job and the interesting people I get to meet.

On the national stage, our elected representatives in Washington can't seem to put two and two together.  Crafting a budget is difficult work; especially when there isn't enough revenue to meet expenses.  Their recent failure isn't about a budget, they can't even agree to keep the doors open.

The shut-down is about blame and posturing, pointing at the other side screaming "It's their fault!"

Sigh.  One can only hope saner heads prevail.  First, they need to find a few.

That was my week.  I hope your next week goes well!

Comments