Bridges of Indiana's Counties - Marion - #31 Trader's Point

The relocated Trader's Point Bridge
12/17/2011    dwm photo
There were a few covered bridges which were very hard to find.

One bridge, the S. Hill Covered Bridge of Vermillion County, was on private property when I was looking.

According to a local historian in 2010, it had been reduced to pieces and was on a farm.

I searched for the farm, but there wasn't a bridge shaped building anywhere.  It was the only one of 6 bridges on private property I couldn't locate.

The Trader's Point bridge is Marion County's last surviving bridge.  It's on private property and the private is taken seriously.

My first trip in search of the bridge during the growing season came up empty.  Only when I tried again in December after the leaves fell could I see it.

The north end of the Trader's Point bridge.
dwm photo
Just west of I-65 and south of 86th Street which is up hill from the valley and the private property where it was moved in 1960 from the town of Trader's Point (home to the Trader's Point Creamery) when the interstate was built.

The bridge used to cross Fishback Creek.  On private land it crosses a pond according to covered bridge site.

This bridge is a great example of one I 'needed' to get, so I could cross it off my list and complete my "collection" of Indiana's Covered Bridges.  Check.
Marion County
Internet image

Trader's Point Covered Bridge
Built: 1880  moved in 1960 to private land
Style:  Howe Truss
Length: 89 feet, once over Fishback Creek in Marion County, it now crosses a pond

Find more Indiana Bridges here.

Comments