Bridges of Indiana's Counties - Lawrence Co. - #29 Williams

The Williams Covered Bridge in Lawrence County.
6/25/2011    dwm photo
The Williams Bridge is the second longest of Indiana's covered bridges (Medora is the longest).  It carried traffic as recently as 2010.

The year after my visit, according to what I found online, the bridge got some tender loving care to improve the bridge and give it a fresh coat of paint.  If you scroll down the Bridgehunter Williams Bridge page, you can see the after photo.

My first look at the bridge is the photo you see at right.  Surrounded by trees and nestled between a rolling Indiana hill and farmland.

Just driving up the road to the bridge was impressive.  On the day of our visit I thought it had been closed to traffic for years.
The Williams crosses
the East Fork of the
White River.  (dwm)

I was captured by how isolated the bridge felt.  The width of one vehicle, it stretches across the White River connecting to a narrow road on the north.  I wish I took the time to walk across.

Looking at the bridge from its replacement a long stone's throw downstream, it is an impressive sight.

Looking south to the Williams
Bridge.  (dwm)
Yet it was the age and way it blended into the landscape which excited me most.

I know the photo at left features the bloom of a thistle, but the fluffy ball of purple creates a nice contrast with the old bridge.

Lawrence County
Internet image
Williams Covered Bridge

Built:  1884
Style:  Howe Truss
Length:  373 feet in two spans over the East Fork of the White River.  Second longest Indiana covered bridge (Medora)

Comments