My Babes

It took three and a half years before I walked into Babes for the first time.

If memory serves, not long after moving back to Wisconsin, I heard a radio ad for the place on a morning sports talk show.  Let's just say I got a poor impression.

Earlier this year, a guy I worked with years earlier suggested this place to meet for lunch.

It's a classic Wisconsin Bar and Grill tastefully decked with sports photos of the local heroes and iconic images from around the wide world of sports.

The name has nothing to do with women; instead named for the original sports legend, Babe Ruth.

Opened in 1988, it offers a friendly atmosphere with beautiful wood floors and subdued walls.  It's perfect for a business lunch, Friday fish fry, or family gathering.

My steak sandwich was a good way to get a smaller size of a nice hunk of meat and a reminder how the food sets this place apart from a typical sports grill with scrumptious food (my steak sandwich is a good way to get a smaller size of a nice hunk of meat).

Just off the Beltline at the Whitney Way exit on Schroeder Road, it's been busy each of the three times I've been there so far.  There are plenty of places to sit inside and out during the summer.

If one of the local teams is hot, this is a prime spot to catch the action with fellow cheeseheads.

I'm sorry it took me so long to to visit; it won't be long before my next stop.

Comments