Show Respect

“Stand up in the presence of the elderly, and show respect for the aged. Fear your God. I am the Lord
Leviticus 19:32

This passage caught my attention the other day.

Maybe working in a Continuing Care Retirement Community is why it strikes a chord with me.

Nearly 25 years ago, when I was a reporter for KELO-land TV in South Dakota, I covered a meeting on the Rosebud Reservation.

Russell Means
(internet image)
It was a tribal meeting.  I was there to cover a visit by activist Russell Means.  But what I remember most that day was how he waited.  He waited as the elder members of the tribe spoke on the issue of the day.  Only when they finished did he take the podium.

Since I was a fast two hour drive from my bureau where I had to file the story, I needed video of him at the microphone.  Once I got past the impatience, I was very impressed in the way the man I judged as most important gave respect.

Manners never go out of style.  We should stand in the presence of others older than us to show respect.

It seems quaint in 2016 to discuss respect.  We make fun of our leaders and mock their pronouncements.  We can question statements and policies of our leaders, but we should show respect the office they hold.

The above Bible verse came my way within a few days of an online video.

Former Marquette Men's Basketball coach Buzz Williams now coaches in Virginia.  Because of what he noticed from his team during the National Anthem he decided his Virginia Tech Basketball team needed their own lesson in respect.

We can use the reminder these days and perhaps if enough of us demonstrate respect we can pay it forward and up the line to all those who hope to reach the office we respect.

Comments