Sloppy Joe's!

It looks like an Ice Cream Parlor from the 1950s.  It call's itself Sloppy Joe's.  It serves fresh gelato and sloppy joe's!   How could I pass it up?

My first trip to Sloppy Joe's in downtown Waukesha last Friday happened because I was hungry for lunch.  From outside it looked like a fun place, but I was unsure if it served food.  I went in and asked Joe (he said it was his real name and all employees are named Joe) what he had to offer.

Joe replied they had a few things on the lunch menu and he would be happy to direct me to the place serving what I was looking for.

Intrigued by the idea of a sloppy joe - I ordered one.  After learning the ice cream is actually fresh gelato from the Divino Gelato Cafe, I ordered a malt made with Carmel Swirl gelato.

Lunch al fresco on the corner formed by the triangle of the city block allowed me to watch the smiles on faces of people embracing their own gelato cone.  My sloppy joe was a delight. Simple, flavorful and reminiscent of the sandwich my mom served me when I was young.

Youthful memories are powerful when it comes to food we love.  The smell of buttered toast reminds me of the cinnamon toast mom brought to my room when I was sick.  The signature taste of the sloppy joe was complimented by its sloppiness.

It was a two napkin sandwich which required some invention to recapture some of the evasive "joe" which fell off the bun.

The sandwich finished, I enjoyed the malted gelato as I walked up Main Street.  The Soda Fountain recall the 1950s (as I knew them mainly by way of "Happy Days") and my youth through the taste and flavor of the sloppy joe.

Comments