Chicken and Waffles!

For nearly eight years we lived in what I thought of as the "near south."

Indianapolis is in the center of the country, but it was there I would hear some southern accents around town.

More importantly, it's where I was introduced to Sweet Tea. Oh, that's good stuff!

Just down the road from us was a Waffle House, a roadside staple across much of the southern United States.

I ate there one time, and it didn't make a big impression on me.  Plus, I couldn't anyone to go with me on a return trip.

Late to the ballgame, I guess - it's very recently that I ordered what I take to be a southern breakfast (or anytime) treat:  Chicken and Waffles.

Yum!  At Fitchburg's Pancake Cafe last Sunday, I gave it a shot.  A waffle divided into four slices and two strips of chicken tenders.  Butter and syrup served alongside.  The butter and syrup were reserved for the waffles.

It was better than expected.  The combination of sweet and salty with a nice dose of protein was a filling meal.  Now, I don't know that fried chicken tenders are better than bacon, but let's just assume that it is.

This doesn't put too far out on the culinary limb, but it was a first for me.  Two things I like that are good together.  I might be late for this party, but eventually made it in.

Comments