Where Did It Go?

Look carefully....

Maybe you notice something is missing?

Just look a little closer.  But don't over think things either.

If you look around the blue Stafford tag, you might not see what is missing.

Like some kind of mystery - hiding right out in front.

Yes, that's right.  There is no pocket on the wearer's left side.

What!!!???

When I was buying the shirts - I didn't notice.  In fact, it wasn't until the first time I wore the light blue version of the same style shirt that it became apparent.

There was no pocket.  No place to put a pen.  No handy spot to slide a receipt or 3 x 5 card.

I don't get it.

Don't most men who buy this kind of shirt work in a place of business and work in a position that might require a pen during the course of the day?

Over the last 30 years, I've grown used to having a pocket to hold my pen.   Alright, in the last ten years I've occasionally placed my cell phone in there.  I know, I know... that's wrong.  I shouldn't do that - and I don't do that anymore.

But surely the fashion leaders at J.C. Penney - couldn't have foretold the disruption in the lives of so many engineers, salesmen, and development folks they caused when they saved a few pennies worth of fabric and thread by removing the pocket.

I like the shirts.  They feel comfortable and look about as good as any shirt I'm likely to put on.  But it seems wrong not to carry a pen on occasion.

For the purposes of full disclosure, I am not a fan of t-shirts or polo/golf style shirts with pockets.  Just in my dress shirts.

Oh, if you are wondering I'm not a user of pocket protectors.  I did for a short time in school.  Middle school, I think.  (Yeah, that didn't help me make the cool kids list, that's for sure.)  I wanted to look more like my Dad who was an engineer and always had a pen or two plus note paper in his pocket.

I don't think Dad used pocket protectors very much. They were little items he would bring home from conferences.  They kept the ink or sharp end of the pen from damaging the bottom of the pocket.  Hence, a "pocket protector."

Somewhere, a pocket protector factory is facing layoffs and the loss of jobs!

It's time for us to return the favor our little vinyl friends did all those years.  We must act now!

Protect the pocket!

Comments