The Beatles

50 years ago, the Beatles arrived in America.  It's an event that changed the country.

Their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show introduced the mop-topped quartet to the United States and even though they broke up more than 40 years ago, their music and impact goes on.

I'm too young to remember the Beatles during their time, but like virtually every one else I have a connection.

  • The first music I ever recorded onto a cassette tape was the Beatles Rubber Soul album.
  • By the time I was in middle school choir, you could hear Beatles' songs on the elevator, so part of our concert were: "Yesterday," "All My Loving," and "Michelle."  I can still sing them today.
  • I was in high school when John Lennon was assassinated.  It was during a Monday Night Football game, and I recall Howard Cosell sharing the news.  My friend who worked at the local radio station and had a slightly skewed sense of humor played "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da."
Looking back, John - Paul - George - and Ringo don't look all that unusual; especially compared to some of today's musicians.  The group's music has survived the test of time.

Working in a retirement community I can see the day quickly coming when the "music of your life" evolves from Orchestra to Big Band to Rock n Roll.  Someday, the B-52s and Devo will be the tracks heard playing in the quiet halls. 

That time hasn't arrived.  Yet.  This weekend, there will be no shortage of retrospectives of the Beatles and their music.  Enjoy it and share it with your kids or grand-kids - who will be amazed and maybe, just maybe, might appreciate the tunes.

Close your eyes 
and I'll kiss you
tomorrow, I'll miss you
remember, I'll always be true.
And, then while I'm away,
I'll write home everyday,
And I'll send all my loving to you.

John Lennon and Paul McCartney  

Comments